Smart EU Shipping


We will handle the customs process in efficient and comprehensive manner.


As a professional customs agency, we will help you complete all the necessary formalities related to the export and import of goods from outside the UK and the European Union. We will handle the customs process in efficient and comprehensive manner. Concerning permanent cooperation, we provide our clients with legal assistance and representation in contact with customs authorities. We also offer submission of official applications and obtaining relevant explanations on behalf of our clients.

We provide consultations on customs and tax regulations related to foreign trade. Our experts will advise the best solutions and release the customer from many formal issues of customs clearance.

We prepare all the necessary customs and fiscal documents:

EX1 export declarations

EX1 Form (strange how unofficial names stick to documents) is actually the export declaration which, from the UK, is electronically submitted to HMRC prior to departure into the CHIEF computer (Customs Handling of Import & Export Freight). It has other names too: NES Form, C88, SAD or T Form, but its formal title for shipments crossing the EU to a non-EU country is the Export Accompanying Document (EAD).

The name EX1 seems to derive from the fact that in Box 1 of these forms it says “EX”, meaning export, and as this is the top box on the form it seems to have become its unofficial title. Why are you being asked for one? An export declaration is required for all goods leaving the EU, which means exporters or their forwarders must key in the relevant information needed, eg commodity code, value, Procedure Code (CPC), into CHIEF, which will grant a “permission to proceed” (P2) message or detain shipment so the goods or documents can be inspected. When the goods physically leave the UK/EU, the export declaration is electronically endorsed. So far, so good, but a problem arises when the goods do not physically leave the EU from a UK port or airport, eg road shipments across the EU.

The exit point is not the UK, it is the final EU border, this is why an EAD is generated that accompanies the goods to the EU exit point. If, for some reason, the driver or haulier taking the goods has not had them entered into UK Customs under this system (illegal but possible because if the delivery was terminating in one of the Member States a declaration to Customs is not required) then you have a serious problem. Without an export declaration Finnish Customs are quite right to hold up the consignment. It is the exporters’ responsibility to ensure the goods are correctly presented to a UK and any other relevant EU Customs official.

Import declarations

It concerns the import of goods from the territory of a third country into the territory of the European Union. The customs clearance procedure is compulsory.

Document T1

The T1 document is used for transit between states that joined the convention on a Common Transit Procedure. It concerns the transit of non-Union goods, which are the subject of customs and tax duties, and of EU goods which should pass through the territory of a third country between the point of departure and the place of destination. The transit procedure secures duties and taxes during the transport of goods by a guarantee.

Our company provides service of guaranteeing the transit of goods, preparing transit documents and comprehensive consultancy in the field of transit procedures.


Why do I need a T1?

The main benefit is that no customs duties or taxes are payable as the shipment moves from one country to the next within the European Union. This works until the shipment arrives at its final destination.

How does it work?

Any person acting as the principal of a transit movement must provide a guarantee to ensure payment of the customs duties and other charges if the requirements for a T1 document are not fulfilled.

A guarantee usually takes the form of an acceptance by an independent party such as a bank, for liability, jointly and severally with the principal. All T1 declarations must be made electronically, using the New Computerised Transit System (NCTS).

Although the NCTS is mostly a digital paperless system, a proper document known as the Transit Accompanying Document (TAD) must accompany the goods during transit and should be presented, together with the goods, at any Custom Office of Transit en route and at the Custom Office of final destination.

The TAD has a unique Movement Reference Number (MRN) generated by the NCTS upon acceptance of the declaration. The MRN appears on the TAD in both a numerical format and as a barcode.

Once the goods arrive into the final destination, the common transit process comes to the end and the office of destination will provide the principal with a receipt. Any duties and taxes l becomes payable at this point.

How do I apply for a T1 document?

The principal or his representative needs to lodge into electronic declaration (IE015) to the NCTS at the Office of Departure, by e-mail via EDCS, XML or the NCTS Web portal.

Once the declaration is accepted and processed, the system will create the Transit Accompanying Document (TAD) which will accompany the goods during the transit.

CE certificates

The CE certificate placed on the product is a manufacturer’s declaration that a product meets the requirements of the European Union (EU) in terms of safety of use, health and environment protection. It defines the risks that the manufacturer should detect and eliminate. By marking his product with the CE certificate, the manufacturer declares that the product meets the requirements of all relevant directives.

In order to mark any product with the CE mark, the manufacturer performs analyzes and then submits the product to the procedure of conformity assessment with the relevant directives.

The conformity assessment procedure is carried out by the manufacturer (or his authorized representative) by completing a sequence of actions specified in the regulations, the so-called modules, usually identified by capital letters. The choice of a sequence of modules is up to the manufacturer who chooses them as it is necessary among the options provided in the product directive.

Certificates of origin

A certificate of origin of goods is a document used in international commercial transactions, mostly required by the customs authorities of any particular country. It confirms that the concerned goods were produced in the country from which they were delivered. This document is obligatory when entering the markets of some countries or customs unions. An importer who has a certificate of origin may benefit from reduced customs tariffs.

The certificate of origin shall be issued separately for each consignment that will be shipped and cleared in total and at the same time. Some countries have their own blanks and require a certificate of origin to be issued on them.

EUR 1 Movement Certificate

What is an EUR 1 Movement Certificate?

An EUR1 Movement Certificate (EUR1) is a document used to enable the custom clearance of commercial consignments between specific countries.

Why do I need an EUR 1?

An EUR1 allows importers to pay a preferential (usually zero) rate of import duty when goods are sent between countries who have bilateral trade agreements in place.

Which countries are included?

A full list of countries who accept the EUR1 can be found online.

Does my shipment qualify?

To qualify the goods must originate in the UK or the EU and be supported by a correctly completed and authorised EUR1. An EUR1 cannot be used for the movement of personal effects. There is also a low value limit of €6000 (or equivalent currency). If the consignment value is less than this you can still raise an EUR1, however, a disclaimer on your export invoice will enable the same benefits without any additional cost.

How does the EUR1 work?

An EUR1 can only be raised in the country of exportation and in the UK it is authorised by the Chamber of Commerce.

Once approved, the top green copy of the EUR1 will travel with the consignment and is presented to customs by the importer. The white copy remains with the Chamber of Commerce.

You should note that EUR1’s are issued on a consignment by consignment basis.

How do I apply for an EUR1?

You will need to obtain a blank original EUR1 form from the Chamber of Commerce and complete all necessary fields. This can be submitted online or via the postal system.

What documents do I need to attach to the application?

You will be required to submit commercial documentary proof of the origin. If the goods originated outside the UK you would need to obtain a manufacturer’s commercial invoice or a supplier’s declaration showing the origin.




Phone: +44 (0) 208 051 2788
SMART EU SHIPPING Ltd, 4 Coxwell Boulevard, London N/A NW9 4AG
MON-FRI 09:00 - 19:00, SAT-SUN 10:00 - 14:00